My name is Christy Thomas, and I am a retired Elder in The United Methodist Church. I have written extensively on church matters and particularly on matters relating to The United Methodist Church. With my retirement, more of those will be coming.
Here’s an article written about me that sums up a good bit of my retirement life as a “mystery worshiper.”
I like to think, to ask questions, to make connections, and to read as widely as possible. I believe that God holds the world together and is interested in redeeming all of creation, not just a few selected people who have managed to say exactly the correct words or believe in a certain set pattern. Yet, I am also utterly convinced that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life–and this way, truth and life is the only way we actually do find the fullness of God.
I also find myself, as I am getting older and perhaps wiser, more and more delighted in ambiguity and mystery and less and less tolerant of those who call themselves people of God and then use that self-description as a way to abuse others.
Further background information:
- Author, An Ordinary Death: Where Grief and Relief Hold Hands, an e-book published by Family Manor, LLC.
- Author, Two Skunks In A Room and Church is Boring, both in publication process.
- Blogger on multiple current issues, http://www.christythomas.com. Blogs featured in Ministry Matters, The Methodist Daily Standard , The United Methodist Reporter, United Methodist Insight and Real Clear Religion.
- Columnist, Religion Section, Denton Record Chronicle.
- Columnist, Americans United for Separation of Church and State.
- Columnist, Denton Lifestyles Magazine
- Contributor: The Minister’s Manual 2003 and The Minister’s Manual 2004. Ed. James W. Cox, Jossey-Bass, 2002. 2003.
- Author: The Pebble, A Newsletter of Distance Education.
- Author: The Damaris Salon, a scholarly curriculum geared toward the non-churched but highly educated woman; The Damaris Press, 2001.
- Co-author: “Evangelical Theology and Religious Education” in Theologies of Religious Education, ed., Randolph Crump Miller, Religious Education Press, 1995.
- Co-author: “Mind Over Management: The Role of Critical Thinking in Educational Administration” in the Christian Education Journal, Fall, 1994.
- Award-winning writer for Kindred Spirit magazine. Published in WebCT Your Way Newsletter, Bibliotheca Sacra, Home Life, Covenant Companion and Anchor devotional series.
- Community columnist for the Wichita Falls Times Record News.
- Religion columnist for the Krum Star newspaper.
June, 2006 to December, 2013
Senior Pastor, First United Methodist Church, Krum, TX
Krum, a small community on the growing edge of Denton, saw the Krum Church have an increasingly significant presence in this community. Under my leadership, the church grew by 50%, saw its ministry to children gain significant impact, and relocated to a new facility one mile east of the original structure. We established a community gardening ministry to teach organic gardening methods and feed our children and shut-ins with home grown vegetables. Our well-regarded Children’s Day Out program expanded from a small two day a week pre-school to a full-service day care, after-school care and preschool.
Associate Pastor, Lovers Lane United Methodist Church, Dallas, TX. Primary responsibilities: Single Adult Ministry, Adult Christian Formation, and Website Coordination.
- Associate Pastor, Trinity United Methodist Church, Wichita Falls, TX. Part-time associate with primary responsibility for leadership training, spiritual formation, and small group development.
- Independent consultant for educational and training institutions to enable instructors and administrators to integrate Internet course delivery systems with the traditional classroom setting. Specialized in the implementation and faculty training of WebCT and Blackboard, course shells that served both as supplement to on-campus courses as well as the entire learning environment for on-line courses.
- Professional webmaster with clients in Texas, Oklahoma and New York.
- Assistant Dean for Off-site Programming and Adjunct Faculty in Christian Education for North Park Theological Seminary in Chicago, Illinois. Responsible for innovative delivery systems and programming to provide educational alternatives to residential education for the non-traditional student. These innovations included both Internet courses and external site courses and programs.
Director of External Studies; Instructor in the Departments of Christian Education and Pastoral Ministries, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, TX
Education and Credentials
- June, 2008: Ordained Elder in The United Methodist Church and received as full member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church
- December, 2004: Awarded Doctor of Ministry Degree, Perkins School of Theology. Dissertation project topic: An Evaluation of the Pastoral and Evangelistic Impact of a Multi-Media Enhanced Worship Service for the Single Adult Ministry at Lovers Lane UMC, Dallas, TX.
- 1999-2000: Auburn Theological Seminary, NYC, New York: Colleague Program for Directors of Theological Continuing Education.
- 1988-1995: Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, TX: Master of Theology/Christian Education. Graduated Magna Cum Laude, recipient of Mary T. Seume Award; twice named (1991, 1992) in Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities.
- 1967-1971, Rice University, Houston, TX, B.A., Anthropology.